How to Survive Moving to Uni

10 September 2016


My first year at uni was a while ago now - around 5 years ago in fact. Where has the time gone!? And now you're thinking - how can somebody SO old who left uni when the dinosaurs were around tell me about going to uni in 2016? But it's like riding a bike - once you've done it, you won't forget it.

I went to The University of Derby - Buxton. The Buxton campus was like Derby's weird chavvy cousin that no one likes and never gets invited anywhere! But it was still great!



MAKE A LIST OF WHAT YOU NEED! 

There's so much you'll need: saucepans, plates, cutlery, cleaning supplies, notepads, pens, folders, bedding! The list goes on and on and on. Making a list will be the most useful thing for you. Split it into sections to cover all areas: Kitchen, Bathroom, Bedroom, Stationary. Moving in is stressful enough without realising you haven't got any knives and forks! 

PERSONALISE YOUR ROOM!

I don't know about you but I LOVE decorating my room - especially the rooms in halls as they're SO boring! Decorating your room is a quick way to help settle in. It will take your mind off the daunting feeling of moving away from home to live with complete strangers! Hanging up your fairy lights and bunting will soon make you feel right at home. 

HANG OUT WITH YOUR FLAT MATES! 

To be honest, this was probably the hardest thing for me. For a lot of people this is easy but I was TERRIFIED! What if they don't like me? What if I don't like them? What if we nothing in common? What if they're horrible? What if, what if, what if? Looking back, I was so stupid! 5 years later I'm still best friends with the first person I met in halls. It doesn't matter that we live 100 miles away and don't like the same music! When you're at uni - everybody is in the same boat! Obviously you won't get along with everyone BUT you will make friends. And they will probably be your flatmates. They're the ones you'll be cooking chicken dippers with at 2am and crying with when Dobby dies. They'll be your new family! 

JOIN A SOCIETY!

Aside from your course this is the best way to find a group of people with a common interest. So take your interest and find the perfect society for you. What's better than meeting a group of people who all love the same thing you do? Nothing! 

DON'T BE A SLOB! 

Let me paint a picture. You go into the kitchen to make yourself some beans on toast. But, oh, someone's used your saucepan and not washed up. They've used yours because yours was the only clean one left. There's a pile of dirty dishes filling the entire worktop. There's a weird smell. There's mould growing. It's disgusting. Do you want to be the person that caused this? NO. It really isn't difficult to wash up after yourself. So, just do it. Trust me, it will be easier than dealing with the wrath of your flat mates! 

JUST BE YOURSELF AND HAVE FUN!








Post a Comment

© Claudemorts. Design by Fearne.